The beginning of Christian fellowship started in a tent on the east side of Sherman Street in 1893. In 1894 a petition was circulated and signed for obtaining and purchasing a site located at our present site on Belgrade Avenue and Sherman Street followed by the first chapel to be built in 1896. Upon completion the Chapel would seat 150 members. On May 12, 1901 the Belgrade Avenue Methodist Episcopal Church of North Mankato was organized by individuals from Centenary Church. The Articles of Incorporation were prepared along with the transfer of the Belgrade Avenue Methodist Episcopal Church property from Centenary church. In 1903 a parsonage was built adjacent to the church.
The building of a new church which incorporated the chapel began on April 12 in 1909. Dedication of the new addition was held on September 5th of the same year. Over the years transformations to the church and parsonage were done. The parsonage was damaged by fire and repaired in 1913. Seven years later the parsonage was redecorated. At the same period of time improvements were made to the church basement, and the construction of Sunday School rooms in the chapel began.
In 1951 flood waters came in April of this year, affecting most of North Mankato. As waters receded clean up began. The downstairs rooms of the church would need to be completely refinished. This was an opportunity for making a few changes, adding a new Sunday School room, renovating the coal bin into a new kitchen and converting the extra room into a primary Sunday school room.
As congregational membership continued to grow, needs for expansion by making plans for a new Educational building began. This building would be built where the parsonage stood. During 1958 property was purchased on Nicollet Avenue in order to provide parking facilites for members. With the development of the new educational building the need for a new parsonage was purchased in 1962 on South Avenue, and construction would begin on the new educational building. Attendance grew to the extent the entire interior of the church was renovated and redecorated.
On January 9th ground was broken for the new church and construction was started in February. The cornerstone was laid on May 22 and the Dedication-Consecration Day was held on December 11th of the same year.
In the 1980's many activities were beginning to form. A hand bell choir was formed, Wednesday Night suppers and an Adult Bible study class began. Belgrade Avenue United Methodist Church offered the educational building as a meeting place for community organizations to meet. Many local organizations, such as Young Life, Boy and Cub Scouts, Alcoholics Anonymous, and Al-Anon still use the facility today.
History of Belgrade Avenue United Methodist Church
Who are United Methodists?
We are a mainline Protestant denomination with more than 11,000,000 members globally who open hearts, open doors, and open minds through active engagement with our world. Our mission is to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world. We believe in the Trinity. We believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and that the Bible is God’s word. We celebrate communion monthly. No matter how or where they serve Jesus Christ, United Methodists do God's work in a unique structure referred to as "the connection." This concept has been central to Methodism from its beginning. Connectionalism comes to life through our clergy appointment system, our mission and outreach, and through our collective giving. We live out our call to mission and ministry by engaging in ministry with the poor, combating diseases of poverty by improving health globally, creating new places for new people and renewing existing congregations, and developing principled Christian leaders. No one congregation can do all these ministries, but together - through the power of our connection - we can make a tremendous difference. For more information on our denomination, you can visit www.umc.org.
BAUMC History Timeline
1893-94 Our Christian fellowship together started in a tent on the east side of Sherman Street, between Belgrade and Nicollet Avenues in North Mankato, where we gathered to hold Sunday School. In 1894 a petition was circulated and signed for obtaining and purchasing a site located at our present site on Belgrade Avenue and Sherman Street.
1899 A Ladies Aid was formed February 16, 1899 "...for the benefit of the Methodist Episcopal Chapel Sunday School and other things that pertained to the chapel."
1901 On May 12th the Belgrade Avenue Methodist Episcopal Church of North Mankato was organized by individuals from Centenary Church in Mankato who resided in North Mankato.The Chapel seated 150 and was debt free. On August 20 the membership of the Church at Spring Island was transferred to Belgrade Church. Preaching was held at Belgrade Church and at Rapidan on alternate Sundays during the summer.
1902 The Articles of Incorporation were prepared along with the transfer of the Belgrade Avenue Methodist Episcopal Church property from Centenary Church. In August, the first communion set was presented to the church by W.S. Albrandt.
1903 A parsonage was built on a lot adjacent to the church facing towards Sherman Street. This parsonage served the congregation for sixty years.
1907 In May, J.B. Nelson was given the contract to put a cement sidewalk in front of the church at the rate of eight cents per square foot. The terms were that one third down and the balance in two annual payments of equal amounts. All church services were suspended December 8 to attend the dedication service of Centenary Church across the river in Mankato.
1977 On January 9th ground was broken for the new Church and construction was started in February. The
cornerstone was laid on May 22 and the Dedication-Consecration Day was on December 11.